Unity Free Tutorial

For this week's Unity task, we decided ourselves which tutorials we're gonna follow and shared them with each other on wakelet.
Because I'm making a space themed game, I found a really good series on YouTube (and in fact the only one) that goes into great detail on the mechanics behind a spaceship flying game by YouTube user BurgZerg Arcade.
Link to the playlist here

The first video shows us how to make a (very) basic space ship, and I mean very basic.

Simple Unity spaceship
This is our spaceship.
It consists of a whole four cubes and zero textures and we made it right here, in Unity. It'll do for our current purposes though.
Next, we made it move forward and backward using the W and S keys respectively by adding a simple C# script.

The next video talks about how we can rotate the ship around the 3 axes; roll, pitch and yaw
Three axes of flight rotation (screenshot from BurgZerg's video)

Again, all we do is add a pretty simple C# script to our Unity project, which gives us a great deal of control when traveling in three dimensions. In my case, I only need to add the yaw control as all my assets reside on a flat plane so there's no need for going up/down and rolling left/right. 

Comments

  1. Hi Pawel

    I just enjoyed reading your blog post and am really digging that Basic unity spaceship design as it reminds me of the spaceship from the game asteroids or the lazer cannon from the game space invaders both of which have been regarded as some of the most influential games of all time and give me real nostalgic/ retro gaming vibes. Keep up the good work looking forward to seeing the rest of the stuff you create for the game.

    -Dillon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Revolutionary

Game Vision Statement

Prototype for my space game