Unity 3D Game Brainstorm

Let's get down to making a game, shall we?

First we need to come up with several ideas.
My first idea is an RPG set in space, inspired by games like EVE online, FTL: Faster Than Light and Mass Effect. The goal of the game is to reach the centre of the galaxy. The closer one gets to the centre the more hostile the conditions are. The player controls a spaceship, which can be upgraded or swapped out. The ships will have various stats like endurance, speed, damage etc. which will be modified by new equipment.
I imagine the gameplay would take place on a mostly flat, invisible plane, rather than fully 3D (navigating in 3D space can be very confusing). The enemies could be any of the following: space pirates, corrupt governments/police, huge space monsters, natural phenomena (black holes, supernovae etc).
EVE Online gameplay trailer (2019)

This screenshot is from FTL, which is a 2D game but we could make it appear 3D if we put the player in 3rd person perspective and put them on a flat plane. (Image Source)

My second idea is a fast paced first-person shooter à la DOOM, just way less brutal. There's an AI uprising and they angered the player in some personal way (killed their family or something?) so they go all John Wick on them. I'd have to include a variety of levels, enemies and weapons. The player would make their way through waves of enemies all the way up to the AI hivemind core (similar to GLADoS, or HAL 9000), which they destroy in a boss fight.
DOOM 2016 Gameplay
Image result for minimum game
If I could stylise simple graphics but still make it look nice, it could cut down a lot of development time. (Game pictured is Minimum, image source)


The third idea is a science fiction racing game, inspired by the movie Redline, the pod race from Star Wars and the games Trackmania, Mario Kart and WipeOut. The tracks would have huge jumps, loop-de-loops and power-ups to help the player.
There's a championship for the player to win and it goes through all of the tracks one by one, maybe theme after theme (planet after planet?). I will probably have to make/find a lot of music for this game as there will be little to no dialogue, which could be a challenge.
Wipeout Gameplay
Image result for trackmania tracks
Screenshot from Trackmania, showing insane track design, image source)


My last idea is a regular old RPG. The premise is that the elements of fire, water, earth and air gained sentience and abandoned humans, leaving earth a barren wasteland. It would be a typical role playing game, similar to the Legend of Zelda, Elder Scrolls and World of Warcraft. Get better items and abilities, kill the gods and return the elements to the people.
One difficulty that's on my mind would be that if I have a lot of NPC's I'd need to have at least some voice acting for them, though older RPG's have little to no voice acting so I might be able to do it.
To create a world I could use the help of tools like this one, which generates maps among other things.


I've played a lot of World of Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons before so I'm well aware of chance and modifier based number outcomes (how much damage one deals to a monster, etc). In fact I've done it in Twine with the help of HTML so I should be good with that. I'd like to learn how to create sound effects and 3D models for the creatures, vehicles and items.

Comments

  1. Hey Pawel,
    I knew that you would be able to come up with some good game concepts because you're a big video game fan and I wasn't wrong. Your four game concepts are great and I think any of them will make a great game. I can't wait to see which one you choose to work on for your final project.
    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whats up Pawel,
    I love the game ideas.
    I like the idea pf a fast paced shooter, this is my preferred game genre and I think that it would make for an entertain game. It would definitely be one of the more difficult games to make but definitely the most rewarding.
    My favorite idea is defiantly the scifi racing game. I used to love playing wipeout back in the day and it is such a good game genre. The idea of a anti gravity racing series would be a great idea because it would not be too hard to make but it would also give you a chance to play around with some cool materials in unity.
    Good luck with the game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pawel
    I love the game ideas. You have definitely came up with some great game concepts and I can't wait to see which one you choose to work on for your final project. Keep up the great work.

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Revolutionary

Game Vision Statement

Prototype for my space game